Washington Pottery Works, Waterloo Road, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:Looking along Waterloo Road towards Burslem with the old Washington Pottery with the clock tower on the left. The pottery site and the buildings to the right have all been demolished, although the white building beyond , on the corner of Adelaide Street, still stands. The site is now a mix of warehouses, shops and houses.

The Washington Pottery started in 1843 and was operated by W S Kennedy and James Macintyre in partnership and by Macintyre alone until the 1950s. It was on the east side of Waterloo Road, just south of Macintyre Street and extended back on the other side of Podmore Street. William Moorcroft was employed at the earthenware works in the 1890s and 1900s. However by the late 1920s the company was producing just electrical ceramics.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/114-15 (204/35541)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.