Wade's Pottery, Greenhead Street, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:George Wade & Sons factory on Greenhead Street in Burslem. The Manchester Pottery and the neighbouring Flaxman Tile Works were known as the Greenhead Works, the centre of the Wade pottery empire. The original Wade's started in Burslem in 1810, the Manchester Pottery was built in 1910, becoming George Wade & Sons in 1919. In the 1950s the company developed Whimsies, small solid ceramic animal collectable series, which made Wade a household name in the UK and America. The works became known as the “Home of the Whimsie”.

The works have been demolished and replaced by housing. the area has been renamed Sytchmill Way.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/098-18 (204/35344)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.