Tower Square, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1964

Description:Looking down Tower Square with Tunstall Town Hall and High Street in the background. Known as Market Square until the 1950s this part of Tunstall was laid out after 1815.The yellow brick clock tower was built in 1893 and stands on the site of the original town hall.

The clock tower, a grade II listed building, was built in commemoration of the Smith-Child family and paid for by public subscription. There are panels around the base of the tower detailing the Smith-Child family's good works.

The buses using Tower Square are all in the cream and red livery of The Potteries Motor Traction (PMT) company. The Renaissance-style Town Hall in the photograph is Tunstall's second, replacing an earlier one in Tower Square (Market Square) in 1885.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/088-06 (204/35223)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.