The Palace Picture House, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:March 1964

Description:The art deco Palace Picture House (or Palace CInema) was on The Boulevard opposite the Memorial Gardens. Opened in 1909 on what was then known as Station Road, the Palace Picture House was the first purpose built cinema in The Potteries. The owner, George Barber, also operated cinemas in Fenton and Hanley and he expanded the Picture House by buying a neighbouring ice rink and converting it into The Station Road Picture Palace. The cinema closed in 1966, became a bingo hall and small cinema for a short period in the 1970s and 1980s and was demolished in 1999. Flats now occupy the site.

The film showing when the photograph was taken was Disney's In Search of the Castaways starring Hayley Mills.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/087-22 (204/35221)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.