The main railway line near Harecastle

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:April 1964

Description:Looking north along the track of the old LMS line as it passes through Chatterley, taken from the Ravensdale Lane road bridge. The higher ground of Harecastle is straight ahead. This photograph was taken before the line was electrified and diverted. The line was electrified in 1965 and a new route built to avoid the original small tunnels. The present line goes off to the right just beyond where the photograph was taken.

Originally opened in the 1850s, the line connected Stoke with Manchester through the Harecastle tunnels. On the left, the square building is the derelict engine house that once held a vertical blowing engine to provide air for the Chatterley iron Company's blast furnaces. Built in 1868 the building lay derelict for much of the 20 before being demolished in the 1980s with the building of the Reginald Mitchell Way.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/084-03 (204/35145)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.