Newfields Junction on the Potteries Loop Line, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:March 1964

Description:The photograph was taken from the bottom of Machin Street in Tunstall, looking north along the Potteries Loop Line. The single track Newfield mineral branch goes off to the left to Newfield Wharf. The double track Loop Line is on the right: next stations north are Pittshill and Newchapel. To the right of the track is Newfields Junction signal box. The Loop Line ran from Etruria Junction via Hanley, Burlem and Tunstall to rejoin the main line in Kidsgrove.

Newfield Branch closed in 1959, Loop Line passenger trains ended in 1964 and the bulk of the route is now a greenway.
Inn the centre of the photograph are houses on Clandon Avenue. Behind, the tall chimney belongs to the Greengates Pottery on Furlong Road.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/081-02 (204/35036)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.