Etruria Gas Works, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1964

Description:A view from North Street towards Etruria gasworks. Etruria gas works opened in 1904 to produce town gas and was owned by the City of Stoke-on-Trent Gas department from 1922 until the industry was nationalised in 1948. After 1945, gas was in widespread use in the pottery industry for the firing of tiles, earthenware, china and porcelain, for drying clay, for the melting of frits and enamels for colour manufacture. The gas works was expanded to meet the increasing demand of the pottery industry following the demise of the coal-fired bottle kilns with the introduction of the first Clean Air Act in 1956.

With the arrival of North Sea Gas in the area in the 1970s, there was no longer a need to manufacture and store gas, and site was cleared in 1986, leaving behind just three gas holders. Two large holders were dismantled in 1991 and now the site has been largely cleared. The area is now the location of the Lakeside View housing development, part of a regeneration project. Behind the works to the right is a part of Twyford's Sanitary works.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/013-08 (204/32968)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.