Grimwade's Winton Pottery, Stoke Road, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1964

Description:A view north along Stoke Road from the junction with Station Road. The tall building in the centre is Grimwade's Winton Pottery. The property is in different usage today, but still called Winton House. The Grimwade Brothers established their Winton Pottery in about 1886. It produced a wide range of useful and decorative earthenware.
Beyond can be seen two other large buildings. There were three pottery factories built side by side straddling Elgin and Newlands Street fronting onto Stoke Road. Grimwades operated the Winton Pottery and they also had an 'Elgin Pottery' - this may have been the centre works, which was later operated by the Empire Porcelain Company. Certainly by 1935 the centre works was associated with the Empire Works. Today the middle building's site has become a petrol station and the building beyond, named "Empire House", is no,longer a potworks.
Immediately to the left are carriage and wagon sidings, now reduced in size.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/017-20 (204/32918)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.