Prospect Street, Middleport

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1964

Description:The camera is looking northeast from the corner of Prospect Street and Irwell Street (previously West Street) with A J Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery (the Mersey Pottery) on the right. This sprawling potworks stretched back behind the camera down to the Trent & Mersey canal. The terraced houses on then left were built before 1880. The road at the bottom is Newport Lane.

The shining car on the right is a 1960s Vauxhall Velox with the intriguing registration "142 K".

Prospect Street remains, but the view today is very different. All the buildings have been demolished, to the left is Middleport Park and to the right modern housing.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/123-13 (204/35727)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.