Trent & Mersey Canal and mill, Middleport

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1964

Description:Looking northwards along the Trent & Mersey Canal with Middleport's old calcining mill on the right hand side. Crossing the canal is the Pidduck Street bridge, whilst in the distance on the left is the northern part of Bradwell Woods. The buildings of Middleport mill date from the early 1800 with some later additions and were operated by Goodwin's Mill Co., who ground flint, stone, whiting, and potters' materials here, from around 1907. Arranged around a central courtyard, the mill has a calcining kiln with double flues. The mill is a grade II listed building. A location alongside the canal was important for importing bulky flint, stone and bone.

Behind the mill is Milvale Street (previously Bridge Street), with Navigation Street going off to the right. To the right of the garages in the foreground is Middleport Park.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/123-21 (204/35711)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.