Orgreave Street, Cobridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The camera is looking along Orgreave Street, from Waterloo Road, towards the Bleak Hill pottery works. Orgreave Street was formerly Bleak Street and at the bottom was the Bleak inn public house. The houses on the left date from the mid 19th century and the Bleak Hill works dates from the early 1800s. Behind the works is the spoil tip of Sneyd Colliery. To the right were Bleak Place and Parker Street (later Gilchrist Street), cleared in the 1960s for housing.
The name over the gate is Swinnertons Ltd, who took over the previous operator, Davison & Sons in 1952.
Bleak Hill works has been demolished and is now Camoys Court. The terrace on the left is now a row of bungalows.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/108-10 (204/35468)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.