Anderton Canal Co. Wharf, Navigation Road, Middleport

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:December 1963

Description:This photograph was taken just off the southern end of Navigation Road in Middleport. This was at the northern end of the half mile Burslem Branch Canal which came off the Trent & Mersey Canal. The branch started near the sothern end of Newport Lane in Middleport. Today the branch canal has been infilled.

The building in the centre is the derelict Wardle Tile and fireplace works. Either side are buildings associated with the Anderton Canal Company operated wharves and warehouses along the canal. Here the canal ran behind the buildings. The Burslem Branch opened in 1805 and brought china clay, stone and other raw materials for use at the Burslem potbanks. Finished ware was exported along the Trent & Mersey Canal. The branch was abandoned after it burst its banks in the 1960s. The old wharf buildings in the photograph still stand, although derelict.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/105-21 (204/35401)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.