Port Vale Football Club, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1964

Description:Looking towards the Lorne Street side of Vale Park from the Hamil Road end. At then far end is the Bycars Stand.
Vale Park was completed in 1950, becoming the club's fifth ground when it moved from The Old Recreation Ground in Hanley. The development became known as "The Wembley Of The North" during construction because the ground was planned to have a capacity of 80,000. However it’s capacity was 40,000 on opening day in 1954. With subsequent developments and a switch to an all-seater stadium it is more likely to be around 19,000 when the Lorne Street stand is completed.
At the time of the stadium's construction Lorne Street was intended to be the main grandstand for the ground. However fans were still standing stood on Lorne Street until the end of the 1997–98 season. Today, Lorne Street is the main stand with hospitality boxes, the changing rooms and can hold around 5000 spectators. In the photograph the players old tunnel comes down to pitch level. The original floodlight pylons in each corner were installed in 1958, now replaced with modern stick pylons.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/099-11 (204/35335)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.