Port Vale Football Ground, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:June 1964

Description:The view south west from Dolly's Lane across the allotments towards Vale Park. Port Vale opened this ground in 1950. The two stands are Bycars Road nearest the camera and the Railway Stand behind, opened in 1954. To the left is the Lorne Road terrace. The Hamil Road End is off the photograph to the left. Floodlights were added in 1958. Originally the ground held 40,000 but all seater stands have reduced capacity to below 20,000. The original size of the stadium led to it being called "The Wembley of the North".

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/097-01 (204/35323)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.