Butterfield Place, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:February 1964

Description:The photograph is looking west along Butterfield Place towards Tunstall High Street. Butterfield Place was originally known as Amicable Street. On the right is the side and rear of Tunstall Town Hall with the Public Market closer to the camera. On the left of Butterfield Place is Johnson's old Unicorn Pottery. Just beyond, the tall building on the corner of the High Street was the District Bank (originally The Manchester & Liverpool District Bank). Wolliscroft's Solicitors is the lower building between the bank and the pottery (formerly Edward Hollinshead's office). Opposite the Town Hall, the large Boots store building remains, but no longer a chemists. The Unicorn Pottery building in the photograph dates from 1890 and was occupied by Hollinshead & Kirkham, making general earthenware until the mid 1950s. An earlier Unicorn Pottery building was occupied by Enoch Wedgwood. Urban redevelopment has largely cleared the left hand side of the old Amicable Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/070-17 (204/33697)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.