Benson Street, Pitts Hill, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1964

Description:Looking east along Benson Street (formerly New Street) in Pitts Hill. The photograph was taken from the corner of St Michaels Road (formerly High Street). On the right is the former Tunstall Primitive Methodist Chapel dating from 1876 (now flats) and on the left the old Co-Operative Society shop. In the distance is the former William Southerne Roman Catholic school, now the site of St Margaret Ward Catholic Academy.

The terrace on the left is substantially the same. Sgt John Rhodes VC lived at number 27 New Street (out of sight on the right). He was the Potteries' most decorated First World War NCO.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/067-16 (204/33684)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.