Beatrice Street in Brindley Ford, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1964

Description:Beatrice Street was formerly Victoria Street in Brindley Ford. The street has been demolished, replaced with modern housing and renamed Barmouth Grove. The camera is looking north with Terrance Street (formerly Albert Street) at the top.

The terraced houses in the photograph were all built in the middle of the 19th century. Half way down on the left is Frank Robert's bakery, with the Hovis sign above the window. The shop in the left corner was a grocer's. In 1900 Robert Heath's collieries and ironworks provided employment for most of the people living in the street. Many of the houses on the right and those on Terrance Street have wall ties because of local subsidence. There is no street lighting.

Related themes:

Shops Housing
View Location

Share:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/059-06 (204/33523)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.