Sneyd Colliery ropeway from Adkins Street, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:Looking north east from the end of Adkins Street towards the pulley wheel and pylon on the end of the aerial ropeway or cableway which connected Sneyd Colliery and Brickworks with its spoil tip. The colliery had two aerial ropeways: this one ran south east from close to the mining shafts to at the colliery to the extensive spoil tips alongside Leek New Road. Over 600 yards (550 metres) long, the cableway carried waste from the colliery in large tubs which were tipped to form the spoil tip. Today the area has been landscaped and forms part of Sneyd Hill Park. The edge of a tip can be seen just beyond the houses on the left.

Coal mining in the area dates from the 1700s and by 1900 there were four shafts. The colliery was joined to Wolstanton and Hanley Deep Pit in the 1960s and eventually closed in the 1970s.

View Location

Share:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/050-22 (204/33445)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.