Hercules Mill, Stanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:July 1965

Description:Hercules Mill was originally called Stanley Mill until rebuilt by Harrison & Sons in 1887. The original mill dates back to the 16th century and in the 1860s was used to grind both corn and flint and was powered by the stream that ran to the west of the village. Harrison& Son used the mill to grind materials, particularly black manganese, for their pottery works in Hanley and Stoke. The mill was closed in 1970 and later occupied by Corinthian Stone, a stone cutting company.
Originally using water, by 1965 it was electrically powered.

View Location

Share:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/044-02 (204/33295)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.