The railway at Stockton Brook

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1965

Description:The view east along the Stoke to Leek branch railway line close to Stockton Brook station. The bridge in the centre carries the A53 (Leek New Road) over the railway whilst the bridge in the foreground carries the railway over the Caldon Canal.

The railway line opened in 1867 and Stockton Brook station was opened in 1896. The station had just one platform in a cutting below the station buildings and is just visible through the arch of the road bridge. The station closed in 1956, but the buildings remain and are used as a village shop. The line itself remained open until 1988 for freight.

View Location

Share:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/040-10 (204/33133)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.