Stoke to Newcastle railway line, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:The view west along the old North Staffordshire Railway, Stoke, Silverdale and Madeley branch line near Shelton New Road and Brick Kiln Lane, 1½ miles (2.4 km) east of Newcastle. The line opened to Newcastle in 1852 and was closed by 1966.

In the centre of the photograph is the eastern portal of the 145 yard long Hartshill Tunnel which carried the single track line under Victoria Street into Newcastle. This photograph was taken close to the site of Hartshill and Basford Halt station, closed in 1926. With the dismantling of the railway line, Shelton New Road was realigned and the area in front of the tunnel entrance is now a children's playground and sports area. To the left of the photograph is the Hartshill Brick and Tile Co site.

View Location

Share:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/013-12 (204/32969)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.