Station Road and Stoke Station, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1963

Description:A view of Stoke Station and Station Road. The Victorian station buildings were opened on 9 October 1848. All the buildings were constructed using an architectural style referred to as "robust Jacobean". The station was built by the North Staffordshire Railway Company and, until 1923, housed the company's boardroom and its principal offices.
Beyond the ornate station entrance is the square building of the New Post Office, built in 1930. To the right is the edge of the Victorian glazed roof over the platforms.

Just visible at the extreme left is the statue of Josiah Wedgwood, outside The North Stafford Hotel. Parked in Station Road are examples of 1960s motor cars and vans from Ford, Triumph, Vauxhall and Bedford.

View Location

Share page:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/016-13 (204/32915)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.