Eastwood Pottery, Lichfield Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:August 1963

Description:The photograph shows a view south along Lichfield Street towards Joiners Square and the Caldon Canal. Johnson Brothers' Eastwood Pottery occupies almost all of the left hand side of the road. It is now occupied by Emma Bridgewater's Eastwood Pottery.

The Eastwood Works were built in 1887 by Charles Meakin with larger rooms with more windows than earlier potworks, with mock Venetian windows in the gables which still survive. Meakins manufactured mainly domestic and hotel tableware. Johnsons occupied the site after becoming part of the Wedgwood Group, which included J & G Meakins. Emma Bridgewater moved in in 1996. The factory buildings remain much as they were.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/175-23 (204/32696)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.